Places to go and goals to annihilate (2018 edition)

by - January 21, 2018


I know that January is basically at its end and that most people have made their new year’s resolutions on the first day of 2018, but I’m messy and I’m almost always late to the party. The following list, however, is not so much littered with resolutions as it is littered with random bookish and non-bookish related goals that I want and need to tick off this year. If it’s not geared toward my career goals then it most probably is a necessary element toward stabilising my sanity. Did someone say Xanax?
I’m kidding, that’s why we have alcohol and ice-cream...duh  
Still kidding guys, come on, give me some credit. Ice-cream is way too unhealthy...
Okay, I’ll stop now... (Don’t do drugs)
  1. Anyway.....Firstly, I have to start with one of the most necessary and tickworthy things on this list. And oh boy, will this be great for my mental health and my sanity in 2018. As of February 1st, 2018, I will officially be moving out of the house that I’ve been sharing with three other boys for the past year of my life. That’s right, I’m finally going to have my own space, and eventhough it’s but small, it will be fierce as hell hahaha. Most of you might not understand my eagerness, but if you have any male siblings or if you’ve ever had to share your space with strangers then you’ll get it and I’m sure you’re crying happy tears for me right now – they are very much appreciated <3

  1. Secondly, and maybe the most important thing on this list that has to do with my future career prospects. I won’t go into detail, because I have way too much to say and to be honest, I don’t know you well enough to be baring my soul right now, sorry about that. Maybe once I’ve reached goal number five on this list (not a spoiler).This goal can be shortened into one sentence; Not where I am today, but where I’ve found I want to be.
  2. I have to follow that very dramatic one liner with a goal that combines career growth and personal growth elements. Ah yes, This goal involves me finally finishing the novel I wrote during Nanowrimo last year. I can’t begin to tell you how excited I was when I first came upon the idea for The Wolf and The Owl. I ploughed through the first half of writing it as fast as I possibly could while drinking copious amounts of coffee and energy drinks to keep the momentum going late into the evening. Now, I’ve made it to the dreaded middle point and I need to force myself to sit down and get the words done. I don’t feel too bad though, because I know that this happens. It’s a thing, and I’m not crazy or stupid or lazy... I’m doing a normal thing, but I still need to get the hell over it because it might be normal in the sense that we all experience this passivity, but there’s no way around it if you don’t get through it. So number three, is to finish writing, editing, and getting my WIP beta read by readers. It’s a lot, but if you’re going to dream you might as well dream big. Amiright??
  3. Of course, this would also be on my list, as I’m sure you all predicted. Give yourself a cookie, because this girl needs to finish her TBR pile! Or at least get 50 books read this year. That’s not too ambitious, I’ve seen some incredible Goodreads goals that I know people will completely annihilate, but I will eat my humble pie and just do the best I can with the time that I have available. 
  4. With that being said... My blog you guys!! I’m really making it my goal to get this blog to work like a well oiled machine, where I upload two posts a week. They can be posts about anything, as long as I continue to force myself to do the things that I love. I love writing about books and reading books or posts about books, but I always convince myself that I need to focus on the things that matter in the ‘real world’. Like work deadlines, getting enough rest for the work week or whatever else I can think of at the time. Yes, those things are important, but so is this community and so are the things that bring me joy. It’s easy to get too stressed when you’re starting out in your career. You’re constantly wondering if you’re doing enough, if what you’re doing will help you maintain your lifestyle and carve out a way of becoming your livelihood. Things become messy and sometimes you just want to push aside the things that aren’t that urgent, because you believe that the more stressful something is, the more important it must be. This is wrong, this is not healthy and I’m not condoning it this year. My goal for 2018 is to focus on the things that make me happy, to take pictures of books, to review books, meet more people in this community and to continue sharing the love with anyone willing and excited enough to listen.

Are there any things that you would like to tick off this year? Are there things that you are excited about or even too nervous to take on? I know that this year will be great because I say it will be. I’m looking forward to all of the hurdles that I might have to jump over and I’m looking forward to all the times that will make me cry tears of joy. There will be lots of days where I might even just be in between at times, and I’m excited for those days too. I’ve come to learn that these are the times I’ll be looking back on when I’m older – the same way I’m looking back on my younger years. I know that if I could go back, I would change a few things and I don’t want that to be the same case this time around. If I accomplish just one thing this year, I want to be able to look back and know that it made me happy and that my heart was full. If I get to do that, then 2018 would be anything but a waste.  

You May Also Like

0 comments